Saturday, 1 October 2016

A little bit of new ground.

Sometimes (actually quite often) I feel the urge to explore, to ride or run somewhere new. Today I acted on this urge, heading off after work to ride a local track that I've known about for years but had so far left untouched.
To get to the track I rode out of town up the Old Macc. Road, always a steep rocky challenge which I'm pleased to say that I cleaned. On reaching the Cat & Fiddle (still closed) I headed south on a fast moorland bridlepath across Danebower Hollow, joining the A54.

Along Danebower Hollow. Shutlingsloe can just be seen in the distance.
I followed the A54, which is the UK's most dangerous road, for about a kilometre, before turning off right at this sign;

Slightly misleading,the track is actually a UCR rather than a public footpath. Anyway, this is the sign and the track that I was looking for. Around the corner lies unexplored country;

What lies around that corner?
I rode on, not knowing what to expect. It started like this;
Here be monsters. Or sheep...
The Peaks can feel quite hemmed in, even the wildest spaces often feel too close to civilisation either by geography or by the presence of other outdoor enthusiasts. This track felt wild. Its obviously well used, at a guess by off-road motorcyclists in the main, but I saw no one else, just a few hardy sheep. Being surrounded by bleak moorland hills helped with the sense of isolation. The track itself started off quite mild, as per the photo above, then turned to loose stone, with mtb friendly singletrack along one side. All rather special. After a kilometre it crossed Cumberland Brook and headed east at a junction with a public footpath. This junction was particulary picturesque, with a little waterfall behind a berry tree begging out to be photographed, but today the light was too poor to do the scene justice.

I was now on familiar ground, having run along the footpath whilst heading to Shutlingsloe from the C&F. Riding is different though, and I enjoyed an exciting descent through rocks, down steps and over roots, 'relax you're on a fat bike' being the mantra running through my head (4" tyres do a great job of riding over stuff, and of inspiring confidence!). Through a gate, then a little more rocky fun down to a ford. Tarmac is reached, and followed up to the C&F (I missed a section of off-road, due to being a clot). On reaching the A537 I must confess to riding a short section of footpath, from the tea room to the C&F, mainly because it cut out a corner on the road. Finally I was back on the Old Macc. Road, bouncing down the techy descent one last time before heading across town for tea and toast and honey.

The Old Macc. Road, looking back towards the C&F.
A jolly good ride, which I'm itching to repeat.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment