| Looking towards Buxton, stone road on the right. |
| Same spot as above, looking the other way. |
| The hole on the left has been caused by 4x4s, and just gets bigger. The bottom is clay. |
| If I tried to drive my 110 through that it'd get stuck. |
| Looking towards the Cat & Fiddle. This was a peat verge. |
The above were all taken at approx. SK024718, and shows the worst of the damage. This carries on to a lesser degree all along the whole length of the lane.
The big hole in the 3rd photo down has been there for about a year now. Late last year I tried to help a park ranger pull a Freelander out of it, even with my 110 coupled to his 90 pulling together we couldn't shift it. As I said to the driver, the stone track is the road, that parts the verge, and you don't drive along the verge anywhere else.
There will, I'm sure, come a day when this lane is closed to 4x4s due to the damage shown above. If it happens I'll have mixed feelings. I enjoy driving along it (although seeing it damaged takes a lot of the enjoyment out), but it does need repairing and protecting from idiots, and if that means a permament TRO then so be it. A lot will say education is the answer, but I get the feeling from seeing this amount of wanton damage that the culprits couldn't give a toss. There's also the 'we have a right to be there' argument, but with rights come responsibilities, in the case of 'laning responsibility means treading lightly and respecting the terrain, the conditions and other users.
There's a very strong anti-greenlaning lobby in Derbyshire, the above damage just gives them ammunition.
Paul.
It may seem funny coming from someone who has owned several Land Rovers, but I don't feel 4x4's have any place in a national park. It's fair enough to trundle along the rough, metalled sections...and I have managed up to some quarries in remote locations doing just that...but ripping up the verge like this just flicks the finger to the rest of us. Petra and I encountered an unpleasant gang of 4x4'ers at the Prince Edward gold mine last year who got shirty when I wouldn't get out of their way...lol!
ReplyDeleteI'm not anti-laning (yet!) but if it is to continue in the Peaks I feel that it needs to be managed, perhaps by a permit system as used on certain lanes in the lakes. And to get a permit perhaps those applying could be subjected to a test of competence and knowledge i.e. can you drive safely and responsibly and do you know when to carry on and when to back off.
ReplyDeleteA lot of 4x4 drivers are an overly gung-ho macho bunch (why else have jacked-up vehicles fitted with the biggest tyres available covered in roll cages with tools strapped to the wings, none of which is really necessary unless your competing in challenge type events), there are some sensible laners but somehow I feel that they are in the minority.